US President Donald Trump said he had ordered the Pentagon to scale back what he described as “inappropriate and hostile” military exercises with South Korea, just hours before the drills were due to begin on Monday.
Trump cited his “good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as a reason for his opposition to the long-standing joint exercises.
South Korean officials, however, said the exercises had started as scheduled and expressed hope that the personal relationship between Trump and Kim could eventually lead to renewed dialogue.
North Korea has not publicly responded to Trump’s latest comments, although Pyongyang has repeatedly criticised the joint military exercises, describing them as preparations for an invasion.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said he was unhappy that the United States had agreed to participate in the exercises with South Korea.
He argued that the drills were costly and sent what he considered an inappropriate and hostile signal to North Korea, which he said had been unthreatening and respectful during his presidency.
Trump also criticised South Korea over its refusal to participate in efforts aimed at the denuclearisation of Iran.
Because the exercises were due to begin shortly, Trump said he had instructed Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth to substantially reduce their scale.
The 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are designed to prepare US and South Korean forces for a potential conflict with North Korea.
The US and South Korean Combined Forces Command said the drills would include simulations involving North Korean troops strengthened by their reported deployment in support of Russia’s war in Ukraine.
South Korea’s defence ministry said the exercises began as previously scheduled and notified. The presidential office said Seoul remained in close coordination with Washington and hoped the relationship between the US and North Korean leaders would lead to meaningful dialogue.
Anxiety in Asia
North Korea has strongly opposed the exercises, describing them as rehearsals for an invasion.
Pyongyang recently test-fired a ballistic missile over the Sea of Japan and warned that it could respond to the drills with a “new level of deterrent.”
The United States maintains about 28,500 troops in South Korea as part of its defence commitment dating back to the 1950-53 Korean War, which ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty.
Trump’s repeated criticism of traditional US alliances has raised questions about Washington’s long-term security commitments in East Asia.
China said it had noted reports about possible renewed dialogue between Washington and Pyongyang. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lin Jian said maintaining peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula and pursuing a political settlement were in the common interests of all parties.
Meanwhile, Taiwan, which relies heavily on its security relationship with the United States, said it would propose record defence spending of more than $35 billion for 2027.
China claims Taiwan as part of its territory and has threatened to use force to bring the self-governed island under its control.
Unclear Benefit
The US-South Korean exercises involve about 18,000 South Korean troops alongside US forces. They are expected to focus heavily on drone warfare, GPS disruption and cyberattacks.
Leif-Eric Easley, a professor of international studies at Ewha Womans University in Seoul, said reducing the scale of the exercises could damage coordination between the allies, slow South Korea’s efforts to take greater responsibility for its own defence and weaken deterrence against potential conflicts in Asia
North Korea expert Lim Eul-chul of Kyungnam University said Pyongyang was unlikely to regard the announcement as significant unless the exercises were cancelled completely rather than merely reduced.
Experts say North Korea has expanded its nuclear and missile capabilities since negotiations between Trump and Kim broke down. The two leaders last met in person in 2019.
