King Charles has reacted to the arrest of his brother and former Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
Andrew was stripped of his title last year over his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein, the late sex offender.
On Thursday, police vehicles arrived at the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk before Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest was announced.
The police confirmed the development in a statement but did not identify the former prince or details of his crime.
“As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk,” the statement reads.
“The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance.”
The arrest comes after police said they were assessing a complaint over the former prince’s alleged sharing of confidential material with Epstein.
Andrew has previously denied wrongdoing in relation to Epstein.
Shortly after the arrest, King Charles reacted to the development in a statement, saying he was deeply concerned about the matter.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the British monarch said.
“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
The king said it would not be right for him to comment further on the issue.
It is the first time the former prince, who has faced numerous allegations over links to Epstein, has been arrested.
